If you were tiny and lived under the floorboards of an old country house, you might make this bag for yourself to carry your important possessions and gather your daily needs. One day, you might come across of a scrap of Italian canvas discarded by the occupants of the house. You salvage a beautiful wooden button that fell to the ground when the mistress of the house quickly closed up her sewing box to answer the door bell. Your heart would have sung when you then found the perfect lining from another scrap of fabric that was left by the visiting seamstress. You need this bag to carry your daily supplies from here to there and home again. You take the time and care to make it because your bag is part of much of your day, and it counts.
As you are possibly not this tiny, Arrietty’s canvas bag with its beautiful handmade wooden button, canvas and joyful lining has been created a little larger:
– The black canvas Arrietty bag is made with red black and white vintage houndstooth fabric.
– The handmade wooden button is made from off cuts of sustainably harvested sugar gum. Made in Castlemaine by Tim at Use Things
– Adjustable multi-layered self fabric canvas strap.
– Has a Ykk-zippered secure pocket in the lining.
– Your canvas bag is packaged in a cotton drawstring bag that doubles as a storage/travel bag for a pair of shoes or ankle boots.
Width 14″ or 35cm
Height 9.5″ or 24cm
Depth 3″ or 8cm
I’ve stashed away a number of stunning lining fabrics, please check for availability. Navy canvas is also available.
Inspiration for Arrietty’s bag is the 1952 childrens novel “The Borrowers” by Mary Norton. Make sure you also watch “Arrietty” from Japanese Animators Studio Ghibli.
Arrietty’s bag can be made to order for $220
Telephone: 0402 870 469